The history of the first Byggfakta Group company dates back to 1936, when Byggnadsupplysningar (Byggfakta) was established in Stockholm, Sweden. During the 1970’s, parts of the operations were moved to Ljusdal, and the head office eventually also moved to Ljusdal in 1985.
The company was acquired by Thomson International in 1988 and then sold to Segulah and Sture Wigart in 1996. In 2000 the company was acquired by Reed Business Information and in 2009 Docu Group gained ownership of Byggfakta. The current business structure has operated in its present form since 2014 when Docu Group was divided into two units, one unit operating in the German-speaking countries and one Nordic unit acquired by Segulah.